The Bluebeards Revenge is a company that’s making serious moves in the male grooming market. I reached out to the founder and the team to find out more:
What’s the big idea behind your business?
Men’s grooming is fast becoming a big business – however when we researched the market many of the products looked slightly effeminate and not something a real man’s man would be comfortable to be seen buying. The Bluebeards Revenge is all about being macho but with a tad of self-deprecating humour. The Bluebeards Revenge is billed as “The Ultimate Shaving Experience For Real Men”
What inspired you to set up the business?
Our online shop (Shaving Shack) retails niche Double Edge shaving products, creams, balms and colognes. Many men who are fed up with Cartridge razors and sub-standard products find a way to our shop in the quest for shaving enlightenment. There was nothing on the market that really drew in new customers and many shaving products are carbon copies of each other. We wanted to create something that was unique, effective, eye catching – a product designed by men – for men.
What is your progress to date?
The Bluebeards Revenge started out with one 180ml shaving cream barely two years ago and now boasts more than 20 products, including, luxury razors, gift sets and merchandise.
It is now retailed in over 20 countries, has over 150 high street stockists and has won countless awards – not only for its quality of products but also its Social Media and Marketing strategy.
We re-branded the range for the North American market – Dreadnought Shaving is now taking the Americas by storm and is set to be a major market for the business.
What key lessons have you learned?
We’ve learnt a lot of lessons since our beginnings back in 2010. Supply chain for example is fundamental to establishing a strong business – if you fail to deliver in an efficient and timely manner than it extremely damages your reputation. Work out lead times and projected sales but more importantly than that make sure your suppliers are reliable.
Product testing and TQM (Total Quality Management) have been essential in ensuring that once the product has been sold the end user always gets a consistent excellent result. Our lids for the Aftershave Cologne incurred a fault and if it wasn’t for TQM then we would never have discovered it and sent out faulty products. It may have cost time and resources to rectify but the damage it could of caused in the long run would have been detrimental.
What has been your biggest challenge and how did you overcome it?
Gaining exposure for the brand through PR, Marketing and Advertising is an expensive business. Early on we decided to bring our efforts in-house as the London agencies offer expensive packages with little ROI. Since bringing it in-house we have gained a vast number of contacts and coverage through our efforts. The team is amazingly cost effective with the results speaking for themselves – we are the envy of many businesses in our sector.
What’s the best advice you’ve received?
Part 1 – Learn from the mistakes of others! Part 2 – Try not to forget or ignore Part 1!
What plans do you have for the future?
We are looking to increase the range more and make ourselves a male grooming brand with an international footprint and not just settle in the shaving niche. Products in development include a shower gel, hair products and fragrances.
What advice do you have for other businesses?
To really create a brand PR is essential in telling a story and getting consumers to engage with the brand. Businesses might find PR an added cost but to really drive home the message it is crucial. As Bill Gates once said “If I had 2 Dollars left I would spend 1 on PR”.
Always look to develop new products and not rest on your laurels. Developing new products not only keeps you looking busy whilst adding to your existing products but helps keep the buzz alive in the business.
You can find out more here: www.Bluebeards-Revenge.co.uk
‘Thinking outside the box‘ is a metaphor that means to think differently, unconventionally, or from a new perspective. This phrase often refers to novel or creative thinking and is important for many entrepreneurs and innovators today. We have listed our favourite 5 movies that encourage you to think differently about the world around you and can often become a really powerful source of ideas and inspiration.
1. IN TIME Welcome to a world where time has become the ultimate currency. You stop aging at 25, but there’s a catch: you’re genetically-engineered to live only one more year, unless you can buy your way out of it. The rich “earn” decades at a time (remaining at age 25), becoming essentially immortal, while the rest beg, borrow or steal enough hours to make it through the day. When a man from the wrong side of the tracks is falsely accused of murder, he is forced to go on the run with a beautiful hostage. Living minute to minute, the duo’s love becomes a powerful tool in their war against the system. Click here for find out more.
2. THE HUNGER GAMES In a dystopian future, the totalitarian nation of Panem is divided between 12 districts and the Capitol. Each year two young representatives from each district are selected by lottery to participate in The Hunger Games. Part entertainment, part brutal retribution for a past rebellion, the televised games are broadcast throughout Panem. The 24 participants are forced to eliminate their competitors while the citizens of Panem are required to watch. When 16-year-old Katniss’s young sister, Prim, is selected as District 12′s female representative, Katniss volunteers to take her place. She and her male counterpart, Peeta, are pitted against bigger, stronger representatives, some of whom have trained for this their whole lives. Click here to find out more.
3. THE TRUMAN SHOW In this movie, Truman is a man whose life is a fake one… The place he lives is in fact a big studio with hidden cameras everywhere, and all his friends and people around him, are actors who play their roles in the most popular TV-series in the world: The Truman Show. Truman thinks that he is an ordinary man with an ordinary life and has no idea about how he is exploited. Until one day… he finds out everything. Will he react? Click here to find out more.
4. INCEPTION Dom Cobb is a skilled thief, the absolute best in the dangerous art of extraction, stealing valuable secrets from deep within the subconscious during the dream state, when the mind is at its most vulnerable. Cobb’s rare ability has made him a coveted player in this treacherous new world of corporate espionage, but it has also made him an international fugitive and cost him everything he has ever loved. Now Cobb is being offered a chance at redemption. One last job could give him his life back but only if he can accomplish the impossible-inception. Instead of the perfect heist, Cobb and his team of specialists have to pull off the reverse: their task is not to steal an idea but to plant one. If they succeed, it could be the perfect crime. But no amount of careful planning or expertise can prepare the team for the dangerous enemy that seems to predict their every move. An enemy that only Cobb could have seen coming. Click here to find out more.
5. DIVERGENT Set in a futuristic dystopia where society is divided into five factions that each represent a different virtue, teenagers have to decide if they want to stay in their faction or switch to another – for the rest of their lives. Tris Prior makes a choice that surprises everyone. Then Tris and her fellow faction-members have to live through a highly competitive initiation process to live out the choice they have made. They must undergo extreme physical and intense psychological tests, that transform them all. But Tris has a secret that she is Divergent, which means she doesn’t fit into any one group. If anyone knew, it would mean a certain death. As she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly peaceful society, this secret might help her save the people she loves… or it might destroy her. Click here to find out more.
How many of these have you seen and which ones would you recommend? Let us know in the comments below:
Source Youtube.com and IMDB.com